Thursday, October 18, 2012

Photography in Today's Age
By Amanda Payne


Photography has been an aspect of my life since I was a young girl.  When I was 16 years old, my parents bought me my first “real” camera.  This was not your typical Kodak disposable flash camera that I had been using; this was a Sony digital camera.  Suddenly I could take photos and see instant results.  If I didn’t like the shot, I could just delete it and take another.  As with all technology, once I had my Sony camera, I told everybody “I can never go back to those disposables.”  It is true.  This is what today’s technology has done.  It evolves and often makes us more efficient.  I love the ease of digital photography, but I also feel like I’ve lost a bit of touch with the “art” of photography, which tells a story.  
Certainly photography in our advanced world has steered us into a different direction than when I was younger.  When I was a child, it seemed the camera only got pulled out of the drawer or closet for special occasions.  And you never knew what that photo was going to look like until you dropped the film off at the drug store and returned to see what shot you got (or didn’t get!). 
Today, the camera is an everyday part of our lives.  Cameras are on cell phones, IPod’s … heck, even children’s Nintendo DS’s have a built-in camera.  These types of devices make it easy to generate photos on the internet so it is easily accessible for others to view.  Today there are nearly 7,000 photos uploaded per minute on Flickr.  You can snap a photo with your phone and a few seconds later make it available to the world on Facebook. With this many photos posted on the internet, it is as though photography is no longer a hobby or an art, but just a part of our everyday lives.  Today, everyone is a photographer on demand.   And I haven’t even mentioned all of the software available to ‘enhance’ your photos.
What do you think?  Is photography now simply a universal hobby?  With all these advancements in photography, it’s hard to imagine what’s next on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment