Wednesday, August 28, 2013

From Revit to Project Reviews, Summer Intern Ready for the Real World

Farnsworth Group always looks forward to the opportunity to hire interns for the summer.  It’s an occasion to give these students a chance to apply in the real world what they’ve been learning in the classroom.  Plus, there’s always the chance we might learn a little something new, too!

We asked a few of our summer interns to blog about their experience with us during their summer. 
Tiffany Wernsman attended Southern Illinois University where she obtained her Bachelor of Science degree in Architectural Studies and just completed her Masters of Architecture from SIU.
It was an absolute pleasure being a part of the Farnsworth Group team! 

At first, I had no idea what I was really getting myself into, but everyone involved in the company played a role in making my transition from student to intern much more comfortable than I could have ever imagined.  Each and every day provided me with an opportunity to learn a new lesson from professionals amongst various disciplines in a unique atmosphere.


The first day of employment I went through basic orientation and later was taken out to lunch with the entire architecture department.  It was in that moment that I learned of the strong relationships and collaborative methods that have been developed amongst my peers at Farnsworth Group.
As the weeks went by, I had the opportunity to get real hands-on experience and took part in a multitude of different projects.  I was given the chance to attend work load projection meetings, monthly center staff meetings, safety training programs, monthly Revit webinars, architecture group meetings, visited project sites, attended lunch and learn sessions, attended a group golf outing, and developed documentation for numerous projects.

These events gave me a real sense of belonging, making me feel like I was part of not only the architectural group, but the entire Farnsworth Group team.  From meeting people who had just begun their careers, to consulting with corporate individuals, project managers, and principals, everyone that I encountered was a pleasure to work with and made me feel at ease.
The very first project that I had in depth involvement in was the Heritage Enterprises Evergreen Senior Living renovation competition.  I had the opportunity to set up existing, demolition, and proposed plans, as well as construct a Revit model, 3D views, and renderings all while collaborating with our Interior Design department.
I really value the learning opportunity that Farnsworth Group has provided me throughout the duration of my summer internship.  Although I am progressing towards the finish line for my time here at Farnsworth, my mentors here have given me the courage and professional advice necessary to succeed in my future endeavors and for that I am extremely grateful to have had this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment